Would you like a corn muffin with your crock pot chicken chili?
Don’t mind if I do! 🙂
I had high hopes of making Famous Dave’s corn muffins…but by the time I got done with my workout it was too late to make another trip to the grocery store. I also didn’t feel like trying to get around downtown Minneapolis at 4:30. Yuck.
But all is not lost! I picked up some back-up supplies at the grocery store today.
Enter: Bob’s Red Mill Cornmeal!
I followed the direction on the back of the package…it’s pretty simple and doesn’t require any obscure ingredients. Surprisingly, the only thing I had to buy was the cornmeal mix. And that says a lot because I am NOT a baker!
In the mix
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill cornmeal mix (I used coarse ground)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (shocking that I had some of this in my pantry)
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp sugar (optional–I used it)
1 cup milk (I used skim)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened (I used butter)
1. First, I preheated the oven to 325.
2. I then combined all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
3. Next, I added the wet ingredients. Side note: 15 seconds in the microwave was too long. The butter was more melted than softened.
4. I mixed on low for about a minute. The directions said to make sure not to “overbeat.” I have no idea what that means.
5. I am out of muffin papers so I sprayed my cupcake pan with Pam. Hopefully that works! I put a large dollop in each spot–so large that I only had enough for 10 muffins. Oops!
6. I set the timer for 24 minutes. But checked at 20 to make sure I wasn’t burning them.
They smell DELICIOUS! And I think they are gonna be pretty dense. The pan was SUPER heavy when I lifted it out of the oven. Hopefully they taste good!
Lunch was similar to last night’s dinner…but I added a banana to the mix because I picked some up at the grocery store earlier today!
In the mix
1/2 cup instant oats
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp slivered almonds
1 tbsp mini chocolate chips
I am trying to get more protein in my diet so I also had a scoop of protein powder mixed with water.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I use Gold Standard whey protein. This stuff packs a serious punch. Each scoop has 120 calories, 3 g carbs, 1 g sugar and a whopping 24 g protein! Also, it’s the best tasting protein powder I have had.
I hit up the gym in my building this afternoon. I ran 3 miles on the treadmill (thank you ESPN for making my run less boring) in 25:31. That’s an 8:30 pace. And I’ll take it.
After my run I did 20 minutes of weights and 10 minutes of abs. And my abs are sore! I am def feeling all those crunches. 🙂
Alrightttyyyy, I’m off to get ready for chili dinner at my friend Mark’s place! Hopefully my friends will like my chili + cornbread muffins!