It’s just one of those chili cookin’ days! It’s cold, wet, and kinda gross outside. And all you want is something warm and comforting to eat!
Case in point. Cold. Wet. Kinda gross outside.
Enter: Crock Pot Chicken Chili! 🙂
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours on high*
*At least, that’s how long I plan on cooking this batch for. I’ll post later if I cook it for longer or turn down the heat. Dinner is scheduled for 6:00 and I started the batch at 2:00…so we’ll wait and see!
In the mix
- 1 lb ground chicken (I usually use turkey but they were out at the store today!)
- Taco seasoning
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can Hunt’s diced tomatoes for chili
- 1 can Hunt’s diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can Bush’s chili beans (first time using)
- 1 can Bush’s seasoned black beans (first time using)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can reduced sodium kidney beans
- Trader Joe’s fire roasted peppers and onions (frozen)
- Trader Joe’s fire roasted corn (frozen)
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1.5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1. First, I browned the chicken in a saucepan. This picture is kinda gross, sorry. Raw meat is just icky.
2. As the chicken was browning, I mixed all the other ingredients into the crock pot.
3. When the chicken was done browning, I drained any fat, and then added the taco seasoning. I used the hot and spicy blend this time! I followed the directions on the back of the seasoning packet and added 2/3 cup water and then the mix into the saucepan.
I let the chicken+seasoning come to a boil and then let it simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. After the mixture had thickened a bit, I added the chicken into the crock pot.
5. I stirred the chili up a bit, turned the setting to high and put the lid on.
Pretty easy, huh? 🙂
I was originally inspired by this recipe from Hungry Girl. Over time I’ve incorporated things that I like into the recipe. For example, I like my chili a little thicker and heartier so I use less tomato sauce and more beans and veggies.
Here are the posts for the other few times I’ve made chili. You can see that I pretty much use the same ingredients each time.
I also have some big plans to make cornbread! I googled the recipe for Famous Dave’s cornbread and REALLY want to try it! I recently fell back in love with these cornbread muffins. I had one a few weeks ago when my friend Carlos and I hit up Famous Dave’s for lunch. I hadn’t been to the restaurant in years and had forgotten how absolutely aaaaamazzzzing the cornbread muffins are.
However, I need to make a trip to a different grocery store because the store I was at this morning didn’t have all the ingredients. We’ll see if I’m motivated enough to head back out into the cold/snow later this afternoon.
Ok…I’m heading downstairs to get my run in! I’m running a little later than planned but such is life (copyright my friend Erin, who coined “such is life” 😉 ). I’ve also got a pretty sweet lunch planned. Just gotta get through my 3 mi run and some weights!