I don’t know about you, but during college, finals was this week or so that you could eat anything you wanted, not workout, and none of it mattered because “it’s finals.” Am I right? Or am I right.
Well, I am determined not to let my college habits follow me into law school. For starters, there’s no late-night dining hall with huge bins of candy to satisfy my sweet tooth. But there’s also the fact that I’m older, wiser, and am actually conscious of what I’m putting into my body.
Here are some tips/ideas on how to avoid the “It’s finals week so I can do whatever I want with no consequences” attitude.
1. Don’t deprive yourself. If you crave chocolate or salty food when you’re stressed, indulge! If cooking a meal just seems like hell, order out! Just do so in moderation. For example, I usually try not to eat out for lunch/dinner during the week in order to save $$$. However, today, I had Jimmy Johns for lunch. I also had a half of a pb+chocolate chip sammie for dessert. And it was so good. 🙂
Side note: What is up with my burning everything today?? I took one slice whole wheat bread, cut it in half, spread 1 tbsp peanut butter and sprinkled with 1/2 tbsp mini chocolate chips.
2. Eat healthy. While I say that I indulge a little, I also continue to try to keep my meals balanced and healthy. So if I do order out, I try to keep my meal choices relatively healthy. Same goes for my indulgences. It’s not always possible, but I’ve found that if you do indulge a bit but continue to eat regular, healthy meals, your body isn’t sent into shock from all the sugar. 🙂
3. Keep your workout schedule. I actually become 10 times MORE stressed when I don’t workout so keeping my workout routine during finals time is a must. Even if you don’t have a solid workout routine, hit up the gym to relieve some stress, I swear, it will be worth it. Also, I’ve been known to bring flashcards to the gym and study them while using the elliptical or walking on the treadmill. 🙂
4. Sleep. Sleep is SO important during regular life and it’s especially important during finals. Our brains don’t function as well when we don’t have enough sleep. And during finals, that’s a recipe for disaster. During the school week, I usually force myself to start getting ready for bed at 10:30. And I try my hardest to stick to it during finals. I have been known to stay up way later…sometimes it’s inevitable. But try to sleep in a bit longer the next day…or go to bed early the next night. I just hate playing catch-up.
5. Take breaks. I try to take a few breaks throughout my day and get my mind off of studying. I try to take a 30 min break in the morning, hour at lunch, 30 min in the afternoon, and then an hour at dinner. And by “taking a break” I mean getting up and doing something. Whether it be watching a bit of TV, going on a walk through the skyway at school…just something that gets me up from my computer and away from my books.
6. Drink water. One trap that I easily fall into is drinking SO MUCH diet soda during finals week. It has caffeine and has flavor. However, it doesn’t really hydrate you! So it’s important to stay hydrated by drinking lots of water. If I do drink soda, I’ll try to alternate between water and soda. I’m not always successful at doing this but I am def trying this time around. So far, no soda! Just sparkling mineral water and regular water. But talk to me in a few days…I’ll likely cave.
7. Remember, it’s just a test. You’re not going to die if you don’t do as well as you hoped. At least, this is what I tell myself. Sure, I’ll be disappointed if I don’t do well after hours of studying, but it’s important to remember: it is just a test. I still have a loving family and friends and not doing AWESOME on a law school exam is not going to change that. (Well, maybe if I fail my parents might kill me… 😉 )
Good luck to all of you who are in finals right now! Remember, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. It might be just a speck of light…but it’s a light!
In other news…
I spent the afternoon studying evidence with my friends Ben and Eric. And we got a lot done! I feel good about Evidence. I mean, I definitely have more studying to do but my test isn’t until Monday. I feel like I’m doing a good job managing my time for this set of finals….hopefully I’ll continue feeling this way as the week progresses!
Study break: Trip to Food for Thought with Ben. Yogurt + Kashi.
Studied until about 8:00 and then came home for dinner!
Repeat of last night: Chili
And, as mentioned above, half of a chocolate pb sammie.
Back to the books for a bit before bed. FINALLY Joe is back for spin tomorrow! Got an email confirmation today…and I am so so so excited! 🙂