So…almost a week later…here is my NYC post! Also, all of these pics are taken from my iPhone.

I left on Friday morning around 10:00 am and arrived in NYC about 1:30. I worked like a madwoman on my brief during the flight.

Finally we arrived! I was snapping pics as we landed. How gorgeous was this weather!? It was like this all weekend. Soooo beautiful.

My mom and I took a cab to the hotel…also, being stuck in traffic is my worst nightmare. I just get all agitated…NYC didn’t change that!

We checked into the hotel and since it was almost 2:30 (1:30 MN time) I was STARVING. My mom and I walked down the street to this cute little pizza place. I got a ginormous salad and a ginormous cookie. πŸ™‚

In the mix







Egg whites


Honey mustard dressing for dipping

I only ate about half and then ate the whole cookie. πŸ™‚

Then it was off to meet up with my friends Larissa and Christy! We all went to high school together…Christy lives and works in NYC…Larissa was just in town visiting.

I snapped some pics on my way to meet up with Larissa.

Times Square!

Larissa and I met up in Times Square then took the subway downtown to go meet up with Christy.

And we stopped at Starbucks! But almost a dollar more than in MN! 😦

Still just as tasty though. πŸ™‚

Christy brought us up to her office…which has AAAAmazing views of the city.

Ground Zero.

After our tour I parted ways with Christy and Larissa and met up with my friend Chris from college. I hadn’t seen him in like two years so it was sooooo great to hang out with him! We met up with two of his friends and had a beer at some bar in Midtown.

After hanging with him for a bit I went back to my hotel to eat some dinner and get ready. I had the rest of my salad and cleaned up a bit…and walked over to Christy’s apartment…just 8-9 blocks from my hotel.

I stopped and got a bagel…because I was still hungry and HAD to try a NYC bagel. I had it with some pb…and beer. Perfect combo. πŸ™‚

Around 11:30 or so my friends were going out but I wanted to get up and run/do work so I decided to head back to my hotel.


I woke up around 8:00 and hit the road! I started out towards Central Park (.75 miles from my hotel).

Hello Kitty?

Running down Park….

The Plaza Hotel!! Can we say, “Home Alone 2“???

Entering the Park….

Soooo many runners! I couldn’t believe it!

I stopped a few times to snap some pictures…

Gorgeous fall colors!

Leaving the Park….

On my way back to the hotel…

I ran about 8 miles. And it was AWESOME! I wish we had a Central Park in Minnesota!

I was pretty hungry when I got back to the hotel. I wish I would have had a little something before my run…I could definitely feel it towards the end. My little brother was watching TV in bed so I was on my own for breakfast.

I walked down the street from our hotel and stumbled upon Metro Cafe. It was love at first sight. πŸ˜‰

I took advantage of their oatmeal bar and loaded up on strawberries, blueberries and a little bit of brown sugar. Heaven.

I also got a small coffee with skim.

I then was super lame and stayed in the hotel room to work on my brief. Boring, I know.

A few hours later my brother was hungry for lunch so I brought him back to Metro Cafe. πŸ™‚ Their lunch specials looked so good too!

We bother ordered the same thing: Turkey with roasted onions and a spicy pepper sauce. And was it spicy!

I also got these delicious rice chips. I need to find these in MN!

Then it was back to my hotel to work on my brief for a few more hours…. 😦

Around 3:45 or so I hit the pavement to go meet up with Christy to head out to the Bronx for the game! We picked up some beer and a 30 or so minute subway ride later….

Yankee Stadium

I actually HATE the Yankees and shudder just thinking about that team. Gag. But I was there to cheer on the Irish…not the Spankees.

Christy and I then went and met up with my middle brother and all his friends/roommates from college. It was so good seeing all of them! I hadn’t seen a few of them since graduation…almost 4 years ago??

My brother’s friend was having the tailgate and his dad made me a delicious chicken sammie. I also had couple beers.

When it was finally time to go into the game, Christy and I thought it would be a good idea to grab a few beers before we took our seats. The first place we stood in line RAN OUT OF BEER right when we got up there! Clearly, Yankee Stadium underestimated the amount of beer Irish fans consume. πŸ™‚

Shot from our seats….

The game was AWESOME. It was really cool to see so many Notre Dame fans! 85% of the tickets went to ND and 15% went to Army. Which is so weird because West Point is in upstate NY! But this was a home game for Notre Dame…and it felt like the city was FILLED with Irish fans! Everywhere I looked I saw someone in ND apparel.

We went straight back to the city after the game…and the subway was PACKED!

We went and met up with Larissa and my other friend, Lindsay, who also lives in NYC. We probably met up with them closer to midnight…and in my beer-induced state I ordered a bowl of turkey chili and munched on a few fries. The chili was absolutely delicious! It was super meaty and spicy. I need to get that recipe! πŸ™‚

We called it a night after one drink at that bar. We were all so tired!


I woke up about 7:30 and didn’t really feel like running…so I hit the hotel gym instead. It was a really neat gym too! On the 35th floor–awesome view of the city. I did the elliptical for 12 minutes then walked at a steep incline at 4.3 mph for 25 minutes. I was feeling kinda lazy…but even a quick little workout is better than no workout!

I then went and met up with my friend Steph. Steph and I taught in Baton Rouge together. I saw her over the summer but since we live so far away from each other I don’t get to see her as often as I’d like. I met her near the New York Public Library and we went and got breakfast.

Oatmeal at Metro Cafe. See, told you I was in love.

This time I got blackberries and almonds andΒ  added a little splenda. And another small coffee.

This oatmeal was way better than yesterday’s because it wasn’t as soupy.

Steph and I chatted, walked around, and shopped a bit. But I had to be back at my hotel for noon because I had to check-out and leave for the airport.

Our flight wasn’t until 4:00 but we thought we might be able to get on an earlier one. However, when we got to the airport, no such luck. 😦

So we kicked it in the Delta Sky Lounge.

For lunch I had a small plate of veggies, hummus, crackers, and pretzels. They had these really cool hummus packets! I need to find these!

Our flight was delayed (of course) but I actually didn’t even mind because I was just plugging away at my brief.

When we finally did takeoff, I made sure to get a few pics of the city at night.

New York was FABulous! I definitely want to go back…but I think I’ll wait until it gets a bit warmer… πŸ˜‰


About Running the Off Season

I am a runner trying to stay healthy and in shape! I try to live a healthy lifestyle through good food choices, exercise, and fun!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to NYC POST

  1. Pingback: I did it. | Running the Off Season

  2. Pingback: Another snowstorm?? | Running the Off Season

  3. Pingback: Healthy winter foods | Running the Off Season

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s